You may apply for a marriage license at any County Recorder in Iowa as long as the ceremony is to be performed in Iowa.
Applications are accepted in Black Hawk County between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm. Please arrive by 4:00 pm to allow time for completing the application.
You MUST apply for a license BEFORE any marriage can be performed.
There is a THREE DAY WAITING PERIOD (business day) BETWEEN APPLICATION AND RECEIVING THE LICENSE,
Requirements 1. Both marriage parties must apply in person
2. One witness is required and must know both parties
3. Government issued photo identification is required for both marriage parties AND witness
4. Everyone must be at least 18 years of age
5. Cost is $35.00
6. Processing time is 3 working days, not including the day of the application, before the license is valid
7. Licenses must be picked up at the office, they can not be mailed.
FOR FUTURE COPIES OF MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES PLEASE KNOW THAT MARRIAGE RECORDS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE COUNTY WHERE THE COUPLE APPLIED, NOT WHERE THEY WERE MARRIED, UNLESS IT IS THE SAME COUNTY.