Cedar Wapsi Road Bridge Project
Black Hawk County Engineer's office is planning the replacement of the Cedar Wapsi Road bridge over the Cedar River. The project is schedule for construction in 2019. Currently we have completed a Type, Size and Location Study that outlines two alternatives for the proposed bridge, along with several environmental and historical studies.
- Alternate 1, a 677'-0" long x 40' wide bridge would be built in the location of the existing bridge.
- Estimated cost: $6.5 million
- Alternate 2, a 690'-0" long x 40' wide bridge would be built 55 feet to the south of the existing bridge. This would allow for existing traffic to be maintained for much of the construction project.
- Estimated cost: $7.3 million
Public MeetingsA public input meeting will be held on November 2nd, 2016 from 5pm to 7pm at the Rotary Reserve on Union Road north of Cedar Falls. A project summary presentation will be given at 5:20pm with questions to follow. Meeting handouts and exhibits are avalivle below:
Project Presentation (PDF)
Meeting Handout (PDF)
Meeting Exhibits (PDF)
Project Studies & ReportsThe type, size and location study was completed by AECOM of Waterloo, Iowa in April 2016. This report established two design alternatives for the size and location of the proposed bridge.
Type, Size and Location Study
Endangered Species Studies
Black Hawk County is required to minimize or avoid impact to State and Federally endangered species. As part of this we have conducted several studies to determine the potential impact to those endangered species. These studies can be seen below:
- Mussel Survey (PDF)
- Mudpuppy Survey (Pending completion, Fall 2016)
- Wood Turtle Study
Wetland Delineation Study
As part of this project Black Hawk County is required to determine and rebuild any disturbed wetlands in coordination with the United States Army Corps of Engineers. A wetland delineation report was completed by Stantec Consulting Services of Independence, Iowa in July 2016.