Food Safety Certification
The majority of food borne illnesses in the United States are attributed to public eating establishments, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Food safety training is a vital component for any establishment providing food to the public. As regulators, we have seen firsthand the benefits of food safety training."
January 1, 2018– Iowa law requires in part… Food facilities must have at least one manager/supervisory employee that is a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM). Certification is obtained by passing an ANSI-CFP recognized closed book exam (click for list.) Food Handler certificates or cards do not meet the requirement. The grandfathering for existing facilities to obtain certification has ended. New establishments must comply within 6 months of licensing.
Black Hawk County Health Department uses the National Environmental Health Association’s training materials and can offer 2 of the nationally recognized food safety certification exams. View the Food Safety Class Brochure (PDF) for details or to sign up for a class or other exam options.
Classes All classes include 8 hours class room training with exam to follow. Maximum of 2 hours is allowed for the exam. Lunch on your own; a light morning snack is provided. You are encouraged to review your materials prior to class. Book and exam are available in several languages with notice. Class is taught in English. If you require accommodations or an interpreter, please contact the Health Department at least 45 days prior to the class date.
2020 Class Dates:
March 5 & 6
April 9 & 10
May 7 & 8
June 4 & 5
Sept 3 & 4
Oct 8 & 9
Nov 5 & 6
General Class Information
- Day one 8:00 am-approximately 3:00 pm; Day two 8:00 am- noon. (last two hours are for the exam)
- Classes are held at the South Main Western Home Campus , Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Exams are also available in: Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Vietnamese & Korean with proper notice.
- If you need special accommodations, please contact our office.
Iowa State University Extension Food Safety Classes also available:
Class information please visit:
Classes in Spanish
Clases en Otras Idiomas
Register and Pay for an upcoming class by clicking the link above.
Schedule a Class
More classes may be added throughout the year. If your business would like to schedule a class for multiple attendees, please contact the Health Department 319-291-2413 for further information. The registration deadline is 14 business days prior to the class.
Why Take the Course?
- The majority of food borne illness in the U.S. is attributed to public eating establishments (CDC).
- Protect the health of your customers and employees.
- Improve the image and reputation of your establishment.
- Increase food service worker knowledge and skills.
- Ensure food preparation is completed in a safe and sanitary manner.