The mission of the County Engineer and Secondary Roads Department is to develop, construct, manage and maintain a safe and modern network of county roads and bridges, by being efficient, financially responsible and environmental stewards to the residents and visitors of Black Hawk County.
The Engineering Department Responsibilities:
- Surveys, designs, inspects and administers roadway and bridge construction projects within the Secondary Roads & Farm to Market systems
- Maintains a number of resources; including section corner ties, flood maps, flood studies, field books and aerial photography
- Inspects the Counties bridges on a regular basis to assess their condition and safety
- Issues various permits, including, driveway, utility and moving permits
- Acquires right-of-way
- Develops a 5-year plan
The Maintenance Department Responsibilities:
- Road grading
- Replacing rock
- Snow removal
- Seal coating
- Traffic signing
- Roadside vegetation management
- Ditch cleaning
- Bridge and culvert construction and repairs
- Bridges ~ How many bridges are in Black Hawk County?
- Building Permits ~ How do I get a building permit in the County?
- Ditches ~ Who owns the ditch?
- Ditches ~ Who maintains the ditches?
- Ditches ~ Can I burn leaves, branches and garbage in the ditch right of way?
- Ditches ~ What are agricultural buffer strips?
- Ditches ~ How can I help to keep the ditches from silting in?
- Driveway ~ Who pays for the driveway entrance?