The mission of the County Engineer and Secondary Roads Department is to develop, construct, manage and maintain a safe and modern network of county roads and bridges, by being efficient, financially responsible and environmental stewards to the residents and visitors of Black Hawk County.
Follow the Engineering Department on Twitter.
The Engineering Department Responsibilities:
- Surveys, designs, inspects and administers roadway and bridge construction projects within the Secondary Roads & Farm to Market systems
- Maintains a number of resources; including section corner ties, flood maps, flood studies, field books and aerial photography
- Inspects the Counties bridges on a regular basis to assess their condition and safety
- Issues various permits, including, driveway, utility and moving permits
- Acquires right-of-way
- Develops a 5-year plan
The Maintenance Department Responsibilities:
- Road grading
- Replacing rock
- Snow removal
- Seal coating
- Traffic signing
- Roadside vegetation management
- Ditch cleaning
- Bridge and culvert construction and repairs
- Bridges ~ How many bridges are in Black Hawk County?
- Building Permits ~ How do I get a building permit in the County?
- Ditches ~ Who owns the ditch?
- Ditches ~ Who maintains the ditches?
- Ditches ~ Can I burn leaves, branches and garbage in the ditch right of way?
- Ditches ~ What are agricultural buffer strips?
- Ditches ~ How can I help to keep the ditches from silting in?
- Driveway ~ Who pays for the driveway entrance?